Horfield C 1 – Horfield B 5
(1) Patryk Krzyzanowski (196) 0-1 Mike Harris (175)
(2) Rob Attar (171) 0-1 Paul Helbig (184)
(3) Bob Radford (152) 0-1 Peter Kirby (179)
(4) Nigel Pollett (141) 0-1 John Richards (167)
(5) Prakash Chatterjee (135) 0.5-0.5 Roger Pearce (138)
(6) James Facey (136) 0.5-0.5 Tom Holmes (129)
Horfield B were white on odd boards
Yet another derby and both sides need points. The B’s had a big grading advantage on boards 2, 3 and 4, but board 1 looked very difficult. Boards 5 and 6 were more evenly matched on paper.
Prakash and Roger shook hands fairly early on. I had found myself in a Blackmar-Diemar which I could remember nothing about so declined taking the f3 pawn. I looked it up – the last time this had been played against me was 1998! Nigel did not get enough for his gambit and it was then a matter of time. 1.5-0.5
Paul beat Rob (I can’t remember how) but the big surprise was on top board. Mike and Patryk had played a game with inaccuracies on both sides, but Patryk made the last one allowing Mike to get a second queen, 3.5-0.5
It looked like Tom was losing but he fought back in a rook and pawns ending to get a well-earned draw. Peter and Bob got themselves into an ending where Peter was a knight up, but both sides had a rook and a far-advanced pawn. It was a difficult ending to play when both were short of time, but Peter got there in the end.